How do you organise a referral to our Day Care Service at NEDC?
In order to qualify for our Day Care Service (people aged over 65 with a diagnosis of dementia) the individual must –
- Live in the postal areas of EH6, EH7 and parts of EH5 and EH8;
- Have an official diagnosis of dementia either from their GP, their consultant or from attending the memory clinic.
- AND who is referred by Social Work, Occupational Therapy, Community Mental Health Team, Community Psychiatric Nurse, Dementia Link Workers etc.
- OR anyone who is in receipt of a direct payment in respect of their day care.
If the individual lives outside our catchment area, we unfortunately cannot provide transport to and from the centre. However, we do have many members who have chosen to attend NEDC regardless of this and their family members or friends provide a lift to and from the centre.
How much does it cost?
There is a small daily charge of £9.00 per day if the City of Edinburgh Council have organised the individuals day care. This is the standard rate across Edinburgh and includes transport to and from the service with an escort, breakfast on arrival, activities (including day trips) and a 2 course hot lunch.
Private or Self Referrals
NEDC also accepts private or self referrals from individuals, meaning you can fund the service from your own income. Costs can be discussed on application to NEDC.
If you would like to organise a private referral or self referral then please find our referral form below. Please can you ensure this is fully completed and returned to NEDC. You can find our address, email address and contact details on this form.
If you would like to ‘try before you buy,’ please contact us for a free trial session and we would be happy to accommodate you.
How do you organise a referral to our Young Onset Service at NEDC?
In order to qualify for our Young Onset Service (people aged under 65 with a diagnosis of dementia) the individual must –
- Have an official diagnosis of Young/Early Onset Dementia either from their GP, their consultant or from attending the memory clinic
- AND live in Edinburgh or the Lothian’s
- AND be in receipt of direct payments in respect of their day care
- OR alternatively, complete the private or self referral form (above) and fund the service from their own income. Costs can be discussed on application to NEDC and we can also offer a ‘try before you buy’ session.